1/2 Photos of Michael Voltaggio's Spanish Inspired "Mac & Cheese"
1 hr 5 mins
Dr. Jenny's Note:
DH and I loved this recipe from the Williams-Sonoma website. We thought it to be really rich (not low cal) and delicious. The only modification that I made was to use soy chorizo from Trader Joes, which worked out great. This recipe uses Bomba rice (arborio) vs pasta, FYI. We made the whole dish in the Dutch oven and transferred the Dutch oven to the oven so as not to dirty another pan. Prep time includes resting time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups spanish chorizo, diced
- 1 1/2 cups bomba rice
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry sherry, preferably Manzanilla
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups soft spanish goat cheese, coarsely grated
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups manchego cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1Preheat a broiler.
- 2In a large saute pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- 3Increase the heat to medium-high, add the chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add the rice, saffron, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the sherry and cook until absorbed.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium. Add the water 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each addition has been absorbed and the rice is just al dente, about 20 minutes.
- 6Add the cream and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 7Fold in the goat cheese and season with salt.
- 8Transfer the rice to a casserole dish or large fry pan and sprinkle the Manchego on top.
- 9Broil until the cheese is golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- 10Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Garnish with chives.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Michael Voltaggio's Spanish Inspired "Mac & Cheese"
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.1
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 54.3 mg
- Sodium 22.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: