This is only one version of this versatile egg dish. It is available on any and every Mexican breakfast menu. I like to use cilantro and serve the eggs with fresh salsa on the side and refried beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained, cut up
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained, seeded, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin or 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Heat oven 350°F.
- 2Fry tortillas (one at a time) in the oil for about 20 seconds or until heated through but not crisp.
- 3Cut tortillas in half and set aside.
- 4In the same skillet cook the onion & garlic until tender.
- 5Add tomatoes & green chilies.
- 6Bring to boil and simmer uncovered for 15 min to blend the flavors.
- 7Combine cornstarch, water& cumin (cilantro).
- 8Stir into the tomato mixture.
- 9Stir until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
- 10Pour into an 8-inch baking dish.
- 11Stand the tortilla halves around the inside edge of the dish.
- 12Make 4 wells in the tomato mixture and break an egg into each well.
- 13Bake until the eggs are set but not hard.
- 14Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 1 minute or until the cheese has melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Huevos Rancheros
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.9
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 233.7 mg
- Sodium 225.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 15.5 g