Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you want a spicy cheese sauce add in some cayenne pepper. I used the small pork breakfast sausages for this but really any kind will do, with the small sausages there is no need to remove the casings just crumble as you are cooking them, you will have to remove the casings if you are using the larger sausages. This recipe is also great for a dinner! The sauce from this recipe is wonderful, so you might want to consider using the sauce recipe alone for other recipe!
Top Review by CrystalRN
We had this for dinner last night and everyone really enjoyed. I scaled the recipe down for 6 tortillas but still ended up making enough for 12! (Probably because I had smaller tortillas) Anyway, I will make this again! Thank you!
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 14 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- salt and pepper
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- shredded cheese, for topping (any amount desired)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- black pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- For the cheese sauce; melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add in flour; whisk constantly for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the half and half cream; cook over medium heat whisking for about 5 minutes or until thickened; remove from heat.
- Add in the shredded cheese and chiles; mix until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- For the enchiladas; cook the sausage in a large skillet crumbling with a spoon until cooked; remove the meat to a plate and drain fat.
- Melt butter in the skillet, add in the green onions; saute for 1 minute.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with whipping cream then season with salt and pepper; add into the skillet that has the green onions in it; cook eggs without stirring until set on the bottom, then continue to cook stirring gently until the eggs are cooked but still moist; remove from heat and gently fold in the 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar and the cooked sausage.
- Spoon about 1/3-cup of the egg mixture down the middle of each flour tortilla; roll and place seam side down into prepared baking dish.
- Pour the prepared cheese sauce evenly over the tortillas.
- Bake covered for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with more shredded cheddar; return to oven and bake another 8 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and the cheese has melted (you can also bake it uncovered with the cheese added on top for 30 minutes, but I find that the cheese becomes too hard).