Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a very unique stir fry, in that it's served on a bed of shredded lettuce instead of over rice! To save time, you can buy a bag of pre-shredded lettuce. I like 2 or more jalapenos, but I like things spicy. If you'd like, you can garnish with salsa, diced avocados, chopped green onions, and sour cream! I like this served hot, but you can serve it cold as a salad....but I really like it hot over the cold lettuce!
- 1 lb top round steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into very thin strips
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Trim excess fat from the steak; slice steak diagonally across the grain into 1/8 inch strips. Set aside.
- Combine oil, garlic, cumin, and oregano; stir well. Heat half of oil mixture in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add onion, red pepper, and jalapeno pepper, and stir-fry 2 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from the skillet; set aside, and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil mixture to the skillet. Add the reserved beef strips, and stir-fry 2 minutes. Return vegetables to the skillet and stir-fry until thoroughly heated. Serve over lettuce, and garnish if desired.
Love the idea of serving a stir fry over lettuce! I used green chile instead of jalapenos, but otherwise followed the recipe. Quick and easy! Will make again, but will try doubling the spices and adding a touch of salt to the meat - I like flavour-intensive stuff! Very good, thank you for sharing!
Quick, easy, and healthy - you can't beat that! I used 3 jalapenos and topped with sour cream. Lots of options to top it as you'd like - it's like a taco without the shell! Yum - thanks for sharing the recipe!
Very Tasty! The suggested garnishes of Avocado and Sour Cream are a must as the really help bring out the wonderful flavors of this tasty meal. Made as written using the suggested pre-shredded lettuce and only one jalapeno for DH sake but will defiantly use two next time as DH was surprised to hear it had jalapeno in it Thanks so much for the post.