Recipe by Cookin Kit
This recipe is from one of my all time favorite cookbooks which happens to be called, "South of the Border Favorites". You'll soon see why. This is one of those salads that tastes like it was prepared at a restaurant.
Top Review by Chef Pollo
I found this a bit salty all round. The dressing was good! I think I would add more veg next time. I've got some dressing left over today and I'll throw in some more lettuce and cut back the cheese and olives. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded (roughly one head)
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped green chili (okay out of a can, but pat dry between papertowels)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black olives
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese (can substitute for cheddar or pepperjack cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup crushed plain Doritos (my favorite flavor- Pepperjack, Okay to use Cool Ranch or Plain tortilla chips)
- 1⁄4 cup drained picante sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine& mix all the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In large bowl, toss lettuce, tomatoes, chillies, and olives.
- To serve, layer in the following order: 1/2 lettuce mixture, 1/2 dressing, 1/2 picante, 1/2 cheese, 1/2 chips.
- Repeat the step above layering the remainder ingredients in the same order.
- This is one of those recipes that can be changed up by adding other ingredients such as beans and using different types of cheeses.