Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe that I found on ChefMD. A quick & easy stove top chicken recipe. I served this with oven roasted potatoes and asparagus.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, skinless, bone-in (about 8 thighs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa (use your favorite salsa)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- lime wedge (optional)
- Combine cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Rub mixture over meaty sides of chicken.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Coat with cooking spray.
- Add chicken to skillet, seasoned side down.
- Cook 5 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Add salsa to skillet.
- Turn chicken over and cover skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer to serving plates and garnish with green onions and serve with lime wedges if desired.
Extraordinarily easy. Excellent with addition of rice and refried black beans. Did add some extra white onion and a clove of garlic with the salsa to great effect...awesome for a college student on a budget with rudimentary kitchen skills! 4 stars only because while strongly flavored, a bit one-dimensional and a little too tomato-ey.
Excellent! I used 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper and it still had quite the zing to it, but we like it like that, but I was trying to make it more mellow for the kids, which did not really work out. I also added 1/3 cup of long grain rice which made a lot of rice along with the salsa. Had to add a bit of chicken broth to be able to cook the rice until tender, perhaps my skillet was too large. I sprinkled with cilantro and green onions just before serving.
Easy and so delicious! I omitted the salt (personal preference). We loved the flavors from the seasonings and salsa. Excellent. I took Andi's suggestion of adding in some rice, and it was absolutely wonderful with the chicken, soaking up all the salsa and juices. I got a great deal on chicken leg quarters, so I threw in thighs & drumsticks - loved it. Thanks for sharing!