Recipe by andypandy
this is an Italian meringue crackly cookie from Pontelagoscuro Italy a small village.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter, for greasing the baking sheet
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, for dusting the buttered baking sheet
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease the baking sheet with the 1/2 tablespoon butter and then sprinkle it with the 3 tablespoons of flour and coat lightly and discard the excess.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill a double boiler half full of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Using a hand held electric mixette and a metal bowl,(making sure the bowl fits over the saucepot of water) beat the whites to a soft peak.
- Slowly beat in the sugar.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water taking care that the bottom does not touch the water.
- Beat five minutes on a high speed until the whites become thick, shiney, and start coating the bottom of the bowl.
- Beat in the flour until just blended.
- Remove from heat, fold in the toasted chopped almonds.
- Drop batter by tablespoons on to the prepared buttered and floured cookie sheet.
- Bake thirty minutes, just until a very pale gold colour.
- Remove immediately to a rack and allow to cool.
- These cookies are best eaten within a few days, but will keep for a week in air tight container at room temperature.