Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
ohhh what a terrific twist on lemon meringue pie. individual servings that look as pretty as it tastes great. Recipe from chef ross burden. Of course you can increase this easily
- 3 -4 lemons, juice of
- 2 -3 tablespoons caster sugar (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 55 g butter
- 1⁄2 large lemon, flesh scooped out, base trimmed to form a flat base
- 3 free-range egg whites
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Preheat the oven 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Place the lemon juice, sugar, arrowroot and butter into a small saucepan over a gentle heat and whisk until thickened.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the emptied lemon half.
- Place the egg whites into a bowl and whisk until stiff. Add the sugar and whisk again until the mixture forms stiff peaks when the whisk is removed.
- Top the filled lemon half with the egg white mixture and place onto a baking sheet. Place into the oven to bake for ten minutes, until set and golden brown.
This makes 6 unique and delicious lemon desserts. They are a wonderfully cute, very lemony, and a delicious dessert. However, we would change a few of the amounts as follows: 3 lemons and using the juice of two, 1/3 cup sugar (in filling), and 1 lg egg white which makes plenty of meringue. This recipe is absolutely divine, and if you love lemons as we do, it is a must try! Thanks Marra, for another keeper. :)
The kids and I had a blast making these together tonight. They are beautiful and easy, I would certainly make them up for a party or pot luck. I did have some issues with the amounts, however - I only used 3 lemons, but they were large. As I was making the sauce, I kept tasting it, and ended up tripling the sugar, and it was still too tart. It also didn't set, which tells me the ratio of lemon juice to cornstarch was off. It would help to have a more exact amount of juice, and I would recommend tasting the filling as you go to see how you and yours would prefer it. Without a crust to balance it, the tartness really comes through, so you may need it a little sweeter than a regular pie. However, we will absolutely make this again! It was SO much fun, looks amazing, and as desserts go, it is easy on the waistline! Thanks, Marra, for a unique dessert!