Prep 8 hrs 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Start this recipe the day before to soak the beans and allow for a long, slow cook time. This recipe was lovingly adopted, after being posted in the Topic of the Month forum by John DOH (chef #308515), during the January 2011 Beans and Lentils event. I've just tested this recipe and it is very good! Made just as written, except I had to use ham hocks and add about two cups of water to cover them. The cook-time went up to 5 hours to reduce the extra liquid, but it was so worth the wait! The amount of sweet is just perfect in this hearty side dish. :)
- Put beans in a large saucepan, pour in enough water to cover. Soak beans overnight.
- Drain beans, return to pan and add 3-4 cups fresh water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until skins wrinkle; about 30 minutes.
- In large covered roaster, combine salt, bay leaf, dry mustard, brown sugar, onion, ham bone and diced ham.
- Drain beans and add to roaster.
- Pour enough tomato juice over beans, just to cover.
- Cover roaster and bake at 300°F for 4 hours, adding additional tomato juice or water, as necessary.