Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This came from a Mennonite recipe book that I puchased at a harvest fair. I vary it from time to time by adding wine or beer to the simmering pot. This stew really tastes great on cold blustery days.
- Heat oil in large pot and brown beef with onions.
- Sprinkle flour to coat everything and cook 1 minute.
- Add water and chopped tomato.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots and spices.
- Simmer an additional hour.
- Add peas and red pepper and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh bread.