Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my mom's recipe. It is a wonderful homemade chili sauce that makes FANTASTIC sloppy joes (see Mel's Sloppy Joes , Mel's Sloppy Joes), or can be used for eggs rancheros(?).
- 24 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 5 large yellow onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons salt (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup celery, grated
- Combine all ingredients in non-aluminum pot (recipe is acidic).
- Simmer ingredients over medium heat, stirring occasionally and slightly mashing vegetables as they cook.
- Cook until thickened (about an hour).
- Place in 1-pint (1/2-liter) canning jars.
- Let stand, cool, and seal using hot-water canning method.
- NOTE: Can place in 1/2-pint (1/4-liter) jars for smaller sloppy joe recipe using 1-lb ground beef.