Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A savory Dixiana dish with roots firmly in Africa. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into serving portions
- 1 cup lima beans, cooked (canned is fine)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs okra, sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium tomatoes (canned is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup rice, uncooked
- Simmer chicken in water with lima beans and seasonings.
- Fry okra, onion and corn in butter until light brown; add tomatoes.
- About a half hour before chicken is done, add all remaining ingredients and cook until tender.