Prep 30 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
A great alternative for people who don't like the mushiness of other similar recipe. Adding the sauce at the last moment allows the eggplant to keep their outside a bit crispy and the inside soft but meaty. Any other Italian cheese can be used. For example: Bella Lodi or Grana Padano for the Reggiano, cacciocavallo or fontina instead of the Provolone... The mozzarella is used for texture rather than taste and refers to the partially dried version, not the fresh type. The recipe's instructions are for individual portions, but this can be done in a bread pan, unmolded and then sliced instead, making it into an Eggplant Napoleon. If you try that technique instead make sure that you press the eggplants tight instead of just layering them so you can actually unmold something that holds together.
- 2 eggplants, sliced in 1/3 inch slices (medium)
- coarse sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (796 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- Stack eggplant slices in a colander, sprinkling with salt between each layers.
- Place a plate on top and pile heavy objects on it.
- Let it rest for about an hour.
- Rinse them off quickly with cold water and dry with paper towel.
- Paint a cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Place the eggplant on the sheet, turning them once so both sides are coated with oil.
- Broil about 7 minutes per side or until golden.
- Meanwhile, sweat the onion and the garlic in the second quantity of olive oil.
- Add the wine and let reduce to half.
- Add the rest of ingredient and simmer for about an hour.
- Puree in the blender.
- Mix the cheeses together.
- Split the eggplant in four bowls, alternating the layers with the cheese mix.
- Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese starts to turn golden.
- Take out of the oven, pour one ladle of sauce on top of the eggplant.
- You can garnish this with the tip of a basil stem.