Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a savory veggie chili that is more like a stew... it's a thick, FLAVORFUL, comfort-food kind of dish. I made this one up this weekend when I needed something fun for a crowd and it was a major hit with everyone- even the "meat heads" and I am not a veterinarian, but I love to eat like I am sometimes- and this one was definitely a winner!!! Enjoy!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) canhunts diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers (do not drain)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste with basil garlic and oregano (already in the paste- I think hunts makes it)
- 5 stalks celery, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 bell peppers, all seeded and diced (I used 1 each ( red, yellow, and orange)
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 dark chocolate (use a high cocoa content- i used 60%)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 5 large fresh basil leaves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (i used Sriracha- amazing hot sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Mix all ingredients in a large pot on the stove; simmer on a low hear for at least two hours before serving!
- Serve with sour cream and grated sharp cheddar cheese!
- If you want a thinner consistency, just add more water as needed.