Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Flavorful, filling and healthy side dish.
- 1 lb eggplant, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh fennel (but recommended) (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute or 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Arrange eggplant, zukes and mushrooms in 9" square baking dish.
- Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, fennel, and garlic.
- Sautee 3-4 minutes until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes with juice, basil, tomato paste and Splenda.
- Cook about 4 more minutes until sauce thickens.
- Pour sauce over veggies.
- Cover and bake 30 minute.
This was a tasty dish, but I had a tiny problem with it... :-( I arranged the raw eggplant, zukes and mushrooms in the baking dish and then followed the directions as written (including using some of my hoarded Splenda). This is delicious tasting, but the raw vegetable release a tremendous amount of water while cooking and the dish was literally swimming in veggie juice! I served this up with a slotted spoon and we had this over rice and pasta (depending on who was doing the eating). I will absolutely make this again next time, but I think I'm going to saute all the veggies first, then reduce the baking time.