Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A sandwich that is served at the small cafes in the Mediterranean --- although they serve it mixed with olive oil I have listed mayonnaise I think you will enjoy it better that way, also many cafes use fresh cooked tuna, I have listed canned you may of coarse use the fresh ---the bread slices may be lightly toasted in a skillet if desired.
Top Review by realbirdlady
A pleasant and easy sandwich filling. With the contrasting colors, this one might be nice to serve in a bowl and let guests build their own sandwich. I had intended to use olive oil in place of mayonaise, but found that the tuna had enough oil even after draining. We liked it better without the tomato and lettuce, which detracted from the mediterranean flavor combination.
- 1 unsliced French baguette (see my Kittencal's French Bread/Baguette (Kitchen Aid Mixer Stand Mixer)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sliced tomatoes (optional)
- green leaf lettuce
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (can use more)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans light tuna in olive oil, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bottled roasted red pepper
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped coarsely (or use other brine-cured olives)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1 celery rib, diced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl place chopped roasted red peppers, Kalamata olives, onion and celery; toss to combine; add in the tuna and gently toss leaving the tuna in small chunks.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayo with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and minced garlic; add to the tuna mixture and toss gently to combine then season with salt and pepper (at this point you may cover and refrigerate for upt to 24 hours).
- Using a serrated knife slice the baguette into 4 even pieces, then slice each piece in half.
- Brush the sides of the bread with olive oil then sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper (you may lightly toast the sliced part of the bread in a skillet if desired).
- Place lettuce leaves onto each bottom half of bread slice, then pile/divide the tuna mixture over the lettuce, if desired lay tomato slices over the tuna.
- Top each with a slice of bread.