I had some mushrooms to use up and couldn't find any recipes that I wanted to make or that I had all of the ingredients for. So I decided to play with some of my favorite flavors together to make a vegetarian no bread-crumb stuffed mushroom. I had so much fun with this one that I also made green chile stuffed mushrooms and am going to post that recipe next! I had to write down a few more ideas for the next time I have mushrooms on hand. Playing with food is fun!
- 12 large mushrooms, cleaned and hollowed out
- 2 tablespoons tomatoes, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons roasted red peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, rinsed and minced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon oregano, minced (fresh or dry)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup feta, crumbled
- minced parsley, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet or 13x9 baking dish.
- Stir together filling ingredients: tomatoes through feta.
- Spoon filling into cleaned mushroom caps and place them in prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Place on a serving platter and sprinkle fresh minced parsley over the top of them.
My husband loved this. I did not have whole mushrooms, but decided to go ahead and make this anyway. I took presliced baby portabellas from Costco and layered them in the bottom of a cast iron au gratin pan. I doubled the filling ingredients and whirled it in the food processor and spread it over the mushrooms. I then cooked as directed. Wow. What flavour. I think these would be a wonderful appetizer, but made a great side dish too. I did leave out the oil and usedwhole grape tomatoes. Thanks for the recipe
Yum!! I used baby bella mushrooms and didn't use roasted red pepper because I didn't have any. I added some chopped fresh baby spinach and about a tablespoon or so of fresh chopped mint. I used maybe a 1/4 cup of greek feta and that was plenty for me. Talk about a winner!! I will make these again and again with my additions but will definitely add the roasted red peppers as well :-)
Excellent recipe !!! My first one as well, I am new to cooking and this is actually the first recipe that i got right :), easy, with great flavors and the finish result was great taste, i think the feta cheese really improved the whole taste ! Even my two year old liked it ! Thanks !