Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Received via email - sounds delish & perfect for using a bunch of garlic I need to put to good use. Suggested Garnishes: toasted sour dough croutons fresh grated Asiago or Gruyere cheese chopped fresh chives
- 5 garlic heads, large
- 2 cups white onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 quarts chicken stock (vegetable stock fine too)
- 1 cup white wine, dry
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sage leaf, chopped fresh (1 teaspoon dried sage OK too)
- 3 cloves, whole
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 4 egg yolks
- Separate garlic into cloves and crush slightly with side of knife. Do not peel.
- Add garlic, onions and vegetable oil to a soup pot and saute until onions just begin to soften. Do not brown.
- Add stock, wine, bay, sage and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 45 minutes. Strain pressing down firmly on the solids to extract all flavor. Return soup to pot and correct seasoning with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- In a bowl, whisk olive oil into egg yolks by drops to form an emulsion (mayonnaise) . At serving time, beat 1 cup of hot soup into emulsion in a thin stream. Gradually beat in remaining soup. Return to pot and reheat gently being careful boil or egg will scramble.
- Serve immediately garnished as suggested.