Mediterranean White Bean Soup
photo by mMadness97
- Ready In:
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans or (14 ounce) cans canned cannellini, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring 2 cups of the broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add potatoes and carrots, cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, place oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add 1 cup of broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked potatoes, carrots, and their liquid; stir in thyme and rosemary.
- In a food processor or blender, purée the beans with the final cup of broth.
- Add to the soup and bring to a boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and adjust thickness with additional broth, if necessary; stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve with croutons or toasted bread as garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Super tasty! And pretty easy to make too. I only had one can of cannelini beans on hand, so I improvised a bit. Reduced the amount of stock used in each of the steps (but used close to 3 cups total). Forgot the lemon juice and it still was delicious! Increased the rosemary since it's my favorite herb. Thanks so much for sharing...I know this will be in the regular rotation as we come into fall/winter.
see 11 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><br /> <br />My most used and favorite cookbook is the 1946 edition of Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking School handed down to me from my Mother. <br /> <br />My most favorite kitchen utensils are a set of Johnson & Wales knives given to me by my mother, a professional chef. <br /> <br />I enjoy traveling to exotic places, trying new foods and bringing home rare ingredients to expirement with. <br /> <br />I work fulltime as a lab technician for a local diagnostic center. In addition to that, during my free time I'm either at the gym, listening to music, tending to my herb garden and/or trying out new recipes & ideas in the kitchen. <br /> <br />I am a classically trained singer and musician, passionate about music. <br /> <br />My favourite thing to do is sit outside in my garden with my husband, a glass of wine, good food, music & a few good friends. <br /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedHostChallengeBanner.gif alt= /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /></p>