Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
I found this recipe on Allrecipes (submitted by beverlyb). This dish is cooked in a crock pot or slow cooker and brings the flavors of the Mediterranean to your kitchen with chicken cooked slowly on a bed of pepperoncini, olives and garlic with a creamy, lemon sauce. Serve over couscous or white or brown rice.
Top Review by Chef Buggsy Mate
This was wonderful! I had a jar of sliced pepperocini peppers that I purchased for subs. I drained them, and added enough to cover the bottom of my crock pot. Then I added the sliced kalamata olives garlic and lemon zest as directed. I chose to omit the salt since the olives and peppers were quite salty. I went to add chicken breasts as that is what I thought was on hand, but it turned out to be some very frost bit mystery meat my MIL had hidden in her freezer. So, I ended up using chicken I had cooked previously and shredded. Since my chicken was already cooked, I adjusted the cooking time for the recipe. I also left the chicken in the pot when I stirred in the sour cream. We used the mixture to top pasta and served a tossed salad on the side. My kids loved it and asked that I put this recipe in the keeper file. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made and reviewed for the AUS/NZ Make my Recipe Tag Game Reunion. Dec. 2012.
- 12 pepperoncini peppers, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced pitted kalamata olive
- 8 minced garlic cloves
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken leg quarters
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer whole pepperoncini on the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle the olive slices and garlic on top of the peppers.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place on top of pepperoncini mixture. Sprinkle chicken with 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika, salt, pepper and lemon zest. Slowly pour in lemon juice.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 6-1/2 hours or until meat easily pulls away from the bone. Remove chicken o a warm plate and cover to keep warm.
- Turn slow cooker on high. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Whisk in sour cream until blended. Cover and simmer on high until heated through (8 to 10 minutes, depending on your cooker). Stir in pepper and paprika. Serve sauce with chicken.