Recipe by lazyme
This traditional Tunisian salad is often served topped with quartered hard-boiled eggs and canned tuna for a first course. Serve with couscous or any unsauced fish or chicken dish. From Home for Dinner: Fresh Tastes, Quick Techniques, Easy Cooking.
- 2 large red peppers, halved
- 1 fresh red chili or 1 jalapeno pepper, halved
- 3 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons dried ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons capers
Directions See How It's Made
- Place peppers, chili and tomatoes cut side down on baking sheet with garlic cloves.
- Broil until skins of peppers and tomatoes are charred and garlic cloves are softened.
- Remove vegetables as they are ready.
- Cool slightly, then skin and seed all vegetables.
- Dice peppers and place in bowl.
- Puree tomatoes, chili, garlic, coriander, caraway seeds and cinnamon in food processor.
- Stir in lemon juice and olive oil.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Toss grilled peppers with tomato dressing.
- Garnish with capers.