Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is adapted from a Taste of Home recipe from their newsletter. I changed things around a bit to match my family's tastes. You can use ground beef instead of sausage and you can also add some mushrooms if you like.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk hot Italian sausage (or links with casings removed) or 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage (or links with casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 2 teaspoons dried garlic flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pizza sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives (optional)
- Italian bread or French bread (chunks or slices) or your favorite chips
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cornstarch, oregano and garlic powder until blended. Stir in pizza sauce.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for a couple minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir in cheeses until melted and then stir in olives if using.
- If mixture is too thick, thin it out with some water.
- Transfer to a fondue pot, warmer or small crock pot and keep warm. Serve with bread chunks or your favorite chips.