Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My neighbours recipe. The lemon and curry powder just add something different, and the sauce something else again.
- 500 g sausage meat
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used fresh)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon intstant instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Meat loaf: Combine all ingredients, place in a loaf tin and bake in a 200c oven for about 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, allow to stand about 15 minutes before serving.
- *Ilike to pour off any fat that accumulates around the loaf about 1/2 way through cooking.
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer about 5 minutes, then serve*My neighbour recommends doubling the sauce quantitiy.
The DM raved about it but to be honest I found the sauce to be too sweet and also at the end of the day I ended up with a gut ache which I think was using the sausage meat (I usually only make meatloaf using very lean mince), but that said I would consider making it again but cutting back the brown sugar to a couple of teaspoons and using all lean mince/ground beef. I also scaled this back for 4 serves but was only serving 3 but the extra will go into a lunch time sandwich, thank you JustJanS, made for Name that Ingredient tag game.