Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I hate meatloaf - DH loves it. I came up with this, modifying a recipe for meatballs, and we both love it. It doesn't have a sauce because it doesn't need it. It's wonderful on it's own. We like to roast carrots with it, and serve it with mashed potatoes and biscuits.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 8 ounces ground veal
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put all ingredients into a large bowl or into the bowl of your mixer and mix together.
- Shape into a loaf and bake at 375 degrees F.
- for 35-40 minutes.
I am also a meatloaf hater but this was great. I especially liked the fact that it wasn't as greasy as regular meatloaf. We did change the veal (I don't care for it)for ground turkey and added chopped onion and green peppers (as we add these to anything we can). My hubby thanks you for this recipe since I haven't made meatloaf in over a year.
I love meatloaf and this was a great recipe. I omitted the veal. Cook time was longer than 40 minutes, but I might have had a 'fatter' loaf.
This is a very good meatloaf recipe. One thing I did was to take peeled potatoes, cut into large wedges, place them in bowl & drizzle with oil. Add garlic powder, salt & black pepper, and mix around until coated. Place around the sides of the meatloaf in a large dish. Drizzle any remaining garlic oil left in the bowl over the meatloaf & bake. Also, use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs in the meatloaf. Serve with salad with oil & vinegar dressing & Italian bread. Yum!