You can have your muffaletta without all the meat, but with all the flavor! Adapted from Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals! Feel free to add more if you like. Perhaps some marinated mushrooms, pepperoncini, veggie bacon, other cheeses, tomato slices, etc.
- 1⁄2 cup pitted green olives
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives
- 1 cup giardiniera, drained (pickled cauliflower, carrot and hot pepper mix)
- 4 sesame seed rolls (or cornmeal Kaiser rolls, French bread etc.)
- 8 slices sharp provolone cheese
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced
- Preheat griddle or grill to medium-high heat.
- Place olives and pickled veggies(not roasted red pepper!) in food processor and pulse chop into a relish.
- Divide the relish among 4 sandwich bottoms and top with a single slice of cheese, sliced artichokes and peppers then add another slice of provolone to each sandwich and press tops in place.
- Place sandwiches on grill or frying pan on medium heat and press with heavy skillet weighted down with another heavy skillet or a few heavy cans. Press a few minutes on each side till lightly browned, remove, split and serve.
Loved the flavors but my sourdough bun fell apart. Maybe will try warming them in the oven to melt the cheese. Served with macaroni salad for meatless Mon.
Oh so good! I love how you make your own olive salad that's fresh!! I used whatever olives I had on hand. I did add just a little salami for my DH. He loved it!!!
i made them for my dw who does not like olives or vegetables at all -- so the fact that she ate this at all was amazing. she thought it was a little on the tangy side, and could have used an extra slice of cheese, but it could not have been that bad as she said i could make these again