This recipe is from Sunset's Ground Beef Cookbook. I am including the recipe for the meatballs, although I usually use frozen pre-cooked meatballs (or use your favorite meatball recipe). It is the sauce that makes this dish good! It is great for potlucks or buffets, especially if you keep it warm in a crockpot or chafing dish. Note that yield will depend on size of meatballs-I am assuming 4 to 5 meatballs per serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or part garlic salt)
- 1For Meatballs: Preheat oven to 5oo F.
- 2Combine meat, crumbs, milk, eggs and salt in a bowl.
- 3Mix lightly to blend.
- 4Shape into balls about the size of marbles.
- 5(Makes about 100 meatballs).
- 6Arrange on shallow, rimmed baking pans and bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 7Add meatballs to the sauce, including any pan juices.
- 8For Sauce: Heat butter in a pan over medium heat, stir in the flour and mashed garlic and cook until blended and bubbly.
- 9Gradually stir in the half& half and chicken broth.
- 10Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- 11Add the crumbled blue cheese and stir until blended.
- 12Add salt if needed.
- 13Stir in meatballs.
- 14To Serve (if made ahead): Refrigerate the meatballs and sauce until time to serve.
- 15Reheat meat and sauce together, covered, over low heat, stirring gently several times (can use microwave).
- 16Sprinkle with garnish just before serving.
- 17Keep warm in a crockpot or chafing dish.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatballs with Blue Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.3
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 86.1 mg
- Sodium 479.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 15.8 g