Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Good for eating and watching football. From my files...
- 2 slices bread, cubed
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons beef stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Soak bread cubes in 1/2 cup beer.
- Combine ground beef, cheese, salt, pepper and beer soaked bread. Mix well and form cocktail size meatballs (about 32, 1" balls).
- Arrange in a single layer in a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onions in margarine until tender. Stir in sugar, vinegar, beef stock, and remaining beer. Thicken with flour if so desired.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- When meatballs are done, drain on paper towels and then add to the sauce and simmer for 20 minutes longer.
- Serve with toothpicks.
This looks like the American Heart Association Cookbook (1975 edition) recipe that I have marked as a winner. AHA says each meatball has 60 calories. These are very tasty, and easy.