Recipe by Trisha W
This is a recipe I have had since the late 1960. Great one dish meal with your meat and vegetables cooked together.
Top Review by smartblonde #2
This was really good and didn't take long to make at all. I added some garlic and basil to the meatballs. I transferred this to a dutch oven when the meatballs were browned. I had to add about 3/4 cup of water, my sauce had really reduced down. Also I made some rice to serve with it (my husband really likes rice with his meals). This was very tasty. Thanks.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 chopped onion (divided)
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (divided)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 carrots (chopped)
- 2 -3 potatoes (chunked)
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green beans
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beef, bread crumbs, 1/4 Cup of the chopped onion, egg, 1 1/2 tsp salt, the pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce.
- Roll the meat mixture into about 16 balls and brown them in the oil in a skillet.
- Add the rest of the chopped onion, carrots, potatoes, 1 tsp of the salt, the rest of the tomato sauce, beans and the water.
- Simmer covered for one hour stirring occasionally.
- Gradually mix with the flour with 1/2 cup of the liquid from the stew, then pour that over the stew and continue to heat until the stew thickens.