Recipe by Cats Eye
WOW!!! What a satisfying soup. It is so thick it is almost a stew. Just add crusty bread for a great meal on a cold winter night.
Top Review by Southern Bug
Very tasty and filling and easy soup! I left out the barley, and just used pasta and rice. I added garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, subbed cooked frozen meatballs, and used chicken broth instead of water. The only disappointing thing was that the rice took long to cook. In the future I may make a couple changes to speed this up: stir in seasoned, cooked ground beef instead of meatballs and use only the elbows. Perfect cool-weather meal!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic, see note
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄4 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 deg.
- Shape ground beef into 1" balls.
- and bake until just done.
- In a dutch oven combine soup, milk, water and onion.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add Italian seasoning, garlic, barley, macaroni and rice.
- Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 15 minute Stir in carrot, cover and simmer for 5- 10 minute Add meatballs and mushrooms to soup.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Cook a few minutes more until macaroni and rice are done.
- Serve with crusty bread!
- Note: I used diced garlic from a jar.
- Either way is OK.