Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another of our favourite curries from Indian Cooking-the only book I own that I have cooked almost every recipe contained in it. I love the lemon juice, pistachios and cilantro that finish this dish.
- 4 tablespoons ghee or 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 -6 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh green chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 dried red chili, chopped
- 5 ounces natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon caraway seed
Mix the following 4 ingredients in a small bowl
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white poppy seeds, ground in a coffee grinder
- 2 1⁄4 lbs leg of lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 ounces unsalted pistachio nuts, lightly crushed
- Melt half the ghee or butter over medium heat and fry the onions, garlic, ginger, green and red chillies until the onions are just soft (3-4 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Put the yoghurt in a blender and add the onion mixture, blend to a puree and set aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee or butter over a low heat (do not overheat ghee) and add the black cumin or caraway seeds followed by the spice mixture and the ground poppy seeds.
- Stir and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the meat and adjust the heat to medium high, stir and fry until the meat changes colour (4-5 minutes).
- Cover the pan and let the meat cook in its own juices for 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally during this time.
- Add the blended ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Rinse out the blender container with 6fl oz warm water and add this to the meat.
- stir in the salt and bring the liquid to the boil, cover the pan and simmer until the meat is tender.
- Stir occasionally during the first half of the cooking time, but stir more frequently towards the end to ensure the thickened gravy does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the ground almonds and half the chopped cilantro leaves, cook, uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, mix well.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro leaves and sprinkle with the pistachio nuts.