Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Rachael Ray
- 1 lb macaroni (any short pasta) or 1 lb ziti pasta, rigate (any short pasta) or 1 lb gemelli pasta (any short pasta)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 slices lean bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground meat (a mixture of beef, pork and veal)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 large jarred roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
- fresh dill, chopped (a generous handful)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the EVOO, 1/2 turn of the pan, in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 3 minutes, then move the bacon to the side of the pan and add the ground meat, crumbling it. Brown the meat for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic and onion; season with the paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, puree the peppers until smooth and stir into the meat. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in the beef broth and simmer for a couple of minutes. Stir in the sour cream and cooked pasta. Top with the parsley and dill.
I omitted the oil and bacon to make it more healthy. I used lean ground beef. I used 2 small bell peppers that I roasted. So I added another tablespoon of tomato paste. It's very good and was easy to do. It's something I will do again. Thanks Redsie. Made for Holiday tag