Recipe by newspapergal
I adopted this recipe after its original poster, Mean Chef, departed the site. Mean posted it on Jan 1, 2004.
Top Review by Jennifer Miller
This recipe is a little involved, but well worth it. I used it to make a sandwhich cookie. For the filling I used 8 oz. cream cheese, 1 box powdered sugar, 2 tsp. lemon extract, and 3/4 c. seedless raspberry jamb. The result was an awesome lemon-raspberry sandwhich cookie.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugar,add egg and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- At low speed, beat in sour cream, lemon extract and grated lemon zest until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well combined.
- Form dough into a ball, wrap in foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Divide dough into 4 parts.
- Refrigerate until ready to roll out.
- On floured surface roll dough, one part at a time, 1/4-inch thick.
- Using a 2 to 3-inch cookie cutter or glass, cut out cookies.
- Use a spatula to carefully pick up and place cookies on a parchment lined sheet pan 2 inches apart.
- Lightly brush cookies with lemon juice and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Do not overcook.
- Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
- Bake each portion completely before rolling another batch.