Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
I adopted this recipe from Mean Chef.
Make and share this Mean Chef's French Fries recipe from Food.com.
- Pour oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan to reach halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Heat to 325 degrees F, use a deep fry thermometer to determine this.
- While the oil is heating, peel the potatoes and push through a French fry cutter to form uniform sticks.
- As you go, place the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water to release some of the starch and to keep them from browning.
- Dry the potato strips thoroughly, this will keep the oil from splattering.
- Fry the potatoes in batches so the pan isn't crowded and the oil temperature does not plummet.
- Cook for 3 minutes until they are soft but not browned.
- Remove the potatoes with a long-handled metal strainer and drain on brown paper bags.
- Bring oil temperature up to 375 degrees F.
- Return the par-fried potatoes to the oil in batches and cook a second time for 4 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Drain on fresh brown paper bags then place in a serving bowl lined with paper towels.
- Salt and serve immediately.
These are the best ~ but I left the skins on ! Just washed them & had to slice by hand ~ I don't have a french fry cutter ~ but it turned out fine ! Once you make these you won't want those store boughten one !!~POKER~
Very good recipe. However, I have made them twice and the second time I made a small adjustment and it made a big difference. After the potatoes were dried and ready to fry I tossed them with 2 tbs of corn starch. Then did the first deep fry. It gave them a much better golden brown and made them more crispy.
Made sweet potato fries using this method... Awesome! Perfect crisp outside, creamy inside. Yum.