Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Say good-bye apple pie, because this is your permanent replacement!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 lbs mcintosh apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Crust: Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- With a pastry blender, cut in margarine and shortening until you have coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle with water 1 tbsp at a time,mix with a fork until mixture holds its shape.
- Form into a ball;flatten out a little a bit.
- Wrap up tightly in plastic wrap and put in fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
- On a floured surfaced roll out pastry 1/8-inch thick into a 13-inch circle.
- Place pastry into an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges.
- Put in fridge while making the filling.
- Filling: Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar and the flour and cinnamon.
- Mix with the apples.
- Arrange apple slices in a circle overlapping a bit at the edge of the pie crust.
- Keep making circles with the apples until crust is all covered.
- Top with another apple layer.
- Bake tart 1 hour.
- Pour cream over tart and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Bake 10 minutes more or until crust is golden.
- Cool on rack.