Recipe by Thornius
My mother was from Texas and loved Mexican food, but hated anything hot and spicy so she came up with this modified chili recipe. My wife and i have improved upon it over the years.
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil or 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (I like Vidalia)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (any or mix of colors)
- 3 -4 fresh crushed garlic cloves
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans (Or your Favorite)
- 1 (32 ounce) canof diced peeled tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions, peppers, and garlic in the oil until slightly caramelized.
- Crumble up the ground chuck into the mixture and cook until well done.
- Add the two cans of beans and mix.
- Add the can of diced, peeled tomatoes.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and then cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- I like to add crushed red pepper in mine after i put it in a bowl and serve it with crisp fiesta cornbread (the kind of cornbread that has bits of spicy red and green peppers in it).
- Best served on a cold, snowy day, when you are at home watching the live news reports of everybody stuck in traffic and having minor fender-benders.