Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is our version for Thanksgiving. Wonderful fresh taste! Not for those who want a marshmallow covered sweet potato! Recipe can be double but you must allow for more cooking time.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch-thick (about 2 large or 3 medium-small potatoes)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine butter, cream, salt, sugar, and sweet potatoes in large saucepan.
- Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart when poked with fork.
- This will take between 30 to 45 minutes.
- Take off heat and mash sweet potatoes in saucepan with potato masher.
- You can also put potatoes into kitchen aid mixer and mix.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Delicious! Tried other mashed sweets, but couldn't find the right mix, til now! Being lazy, I didn't even cut the pieces small, just in big chunks, and used 1% milk instead of heavy cream. Whipped them in the Kitchenaid mixer and they were perfect! Thanks for the recipe.
I tried it and these are great!! You have to trust that eventually they will soften. Leave the heat on low and keep busy but keep your nose open. Mine didn't burn like some of the other reviewers. I think if you become impatient or lose trust and up the fire then you'll run into those problems. At the end of about 45 mins. I went to mash and they mashed perfectly and with ease. I added nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Fab!! I substituted the heavy cream for 2 percent milk. Excellent!! Thanks for posting.
I almost didn't make this recipe because I thought it was odd that the sweet potatoes weren't boiled first. I am so glad I made these. After using the originally recipe a few times I now use whole milk instead of cream and low fat margarine to make these healthier and they taste the same. I make these atleast once a month now as well as for holiday meals. Even my anti-vegetable husband eats this as well as my toddler.