Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
This recipe was inspired by a side dish served at Smith & Wollensky's steak house in Chicago. The potatoes, with their whipped cream texture and mild hit of heat, make a dynamite combonation with steak. If you like your food with a LOT of bite, add an extra Tablespoon of chili oil.
Top Review by JustJanS
I like how quick this was to make and will make it again. It had the right amount of chili and went well with our steaks like you suggested. Next time I'd add parsley or chives to compliment the pretty orangish colour.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and add salt; partially cover and simmer for 25-30 minute or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove potatoes and garlic from saucepan; place in a large bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of the cooking water and butter to the potatoes. Mash until smooth. If more liquid is needed add another 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the chili oil and beat with a wooden spoon until potatoes are creamy.
- Serve immediately.