Recipe by Sydney Mike
Although found as a holiday recipe, this dish can be enjoyed anytime of the year. It was found in The Thanksgiving Cookbook, 1991.
Top Review by loof
Great veggie dish! I used lowfat milk instead of heavy cream and it worked just fine. The carrots tasted great with the potatoes; they didn't mash up quite as well so they were a little chunky but that was ok - tasted great - thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, rinsed, cut into large chunks
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put potatoes & carrots in a large saucepan, then cover with about 2 inches of lightly salted cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover & boil slowly for about 20 minutes, or until both vegetables are very tender. Drain thoroughly & reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Mash vegetables, then add the butter & the reserved hot cooking liquid, beating until the mixture is fairly smooth.
- Add the cream, salt & pepper & beat until nearly smooth ~ Small lumps of carrot are not a problem!
- Reward over low heat, beating constantly, then serve. DO NOT COVER AFTER THEY ARE MASHED, OR THE VEGETABLES WILL BECOME MUSHY.