This is a recipe my daughter Heather came up with, though when she makes it she adds more butter and cheese than what I've stated. When I say spring onion I'm referring to the one without the onion on the end. I think Americans call it scallions and it is also known as green onions. You could try different cheeses.
- Peel and cut potatoes into large chunks; place in a pot; cover with cold water; cook over medium heat until tender but still holding their shape.
- While the potatoes are cooking, grate the cheeses, finely slice the spring onion, and chop the ham into small pieces.
- Warm the milk.
- Drain potatoes; return to the stove for a minute or two to dry out the water.
- Mash potatoes; add the butter and warm milk. You should have a smooth thick mixture.
- Add the Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, spring onion, ham, and salt and pepper to taste; mix well with the potatoes.