Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was looking for something to do with a potato that was a little different - I think I found it.
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces (1/4 lb)
- 1 large yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes (1/2 lb)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Cover parsnip and potato with water by 1 inch in a 3-quart saucepan. Add salt and bring to a boil, partially covered.
- Reduce heat and simmer vegetables, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain vegetables in a colander. Return vegetables to pan and coarsely mash with a fork, discarding any tough core from parsnip if necessary. Stir in butter, 2 tablespoons reserved cooking water, and salt and pepper to taste. Thin with additional cooking water if desired.