This is one of my old stand-by recipes from the More with Less Cookbook. It's a good one for those nights when I don't really feel like cooking. I suppose this is meant to be a side dish, but I always up the amounts a bit and serve it as a meatless main dish. The original recipe calls for the addition of dill seed and chives, but I never use them for our family.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 1 cup cooked frozen spinach, well drained and chopped (I just use frozen, thawed and pressed dry)
- 1⁄2-1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chives (optional)
- Peel, cook and mash potatoes.
- Add sour cream, salt, pepper (and butter if desired).
- Mix in enough milk to bring it to your favorite mashed potato consistency.
- Add spinach (and seasonings if desired).
- Place in casserole dish and top with grated cheddar cheese. (sometimes I also mix a bit of the cheese in with the potatoes before topping).
- Bake in 350 oven for 20-30 minutes.
- We like to serve this with corn, which usually ends up mixed in with all the rest.