Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of my old stand-by recipes from the More with Less Cookbook. It's a good one for those nights when I don't really feel like cooking. I suppose this is meant to be a side dish, but I always up the amounts a bit and serve it as a meatless main dish. The original recipe calls for the addition of dill seed and chives, but I never use them for our family.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 1 cup cooked frozen spinach, well drained and chopped (I just use frozen, thawed and pressed dry)
- 1⁄2-1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chives (optional)
- Peel, cook and mash potatoes.
- Add sour cream, salt, pepper (and butter if desired).
- Mix in enough milk to bring it to your favorite mashed potato consistency.
- Add spinach (and seasonings if desired).
- Place in casserole dish and top with grated cheddar cheese. (sometimes I also mix a bit of the cheese in with the potatoes before topping).
- Bake in 350 oven for 20-30 minutes.
- We like to serve this with corn, which usually ends up mixed in with all the rest.
We normally have just cheesy mash, so I thought that adding some spinach in there would make a nice change. We loved this! It was the perfect side to our steak! Really easy to make and delicious!
YUM! I love spinach, but DF is not too fond of it (along with mushrooms). However, I always find try to find a way to put them in many dishes. He loved these potatoes so much, he asked for seconds! YAH! I only had 2 large russets, 10 oz of frozen spinach, and 1/2 cup colby jack on hand. I made mashed potatoes as I normally would: boil, drain, mash. I added the butter and appropriate milk, continued with sour cream and cheese, salt and pepper. Although I wish I would have had more cheese on hand, I think it turned out great! Even with being 2 potatoes short from the recipe, we still ending up having 5 large servings. It seems like that kind of recipe that as long as you have the basic ingredients, you can fix it up any way you like. Great, love it! I am going to start making it all the time. :)
My family really enjoyed this. I used all the ingredients listed except I used some seasoned salt. It was really yummy. Thanks for posting this recipe.