Recipe by Sandra Hyde
A different way to eat peas.
Top Review by Sassy Syrah
I have just had this for a light dinner, and it was magnificent. It was so simple and tasty. I followed the instructions exactly. I was dubious about the brown sugar, but it really was a wonderful addition. I am not sure what the saffron was meant to add. I cooked the peas for 12 mins exactly. I will make again, the pantry aspect of this is unbelievable.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 lbs green peas, shelled
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄8 teaspoon saffron
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the peas are soft.
- Mash pea mixture or puree them in a blender.
- Return the puree to a pot and simmer to rewarm.
- Serve in soup bowls.
- Garnish with a sprig of parsley or a twist of black pepper is desired.