Recipe by Hill Family
What can you say about oatmeal cookies? Who ever had a bad oatmeal cookie, no one I know. Mary would have rather eaten oatmeal cookies for breakfast rather then a bowl of oatmeal ... unlike Charlie. Oatmeal and wheat toast with butter was Charlies daily staple.
Top Review by Lalaloula
These were tasty oatmeal cookies with a lovely texture. They were crisp on the edges and rather soft on the inside. I just think they need a little more spice for my taste. I already added about 1ts of cinnamon to the batter, but still had the feeling that they were missing something. Maybe a bit more vanilla as well... I made half the recipe and got 11 tbs sized cookies out of it. I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup and added about 50g raisins to the batter. That way they had a lovely sweet fruity taste. These were good, but I did already have better oatmeal cookies.
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups oats, uncooked
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together shortening, sugars, egg, water and vanilla until creamy. Add combined remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes.
- For variety; add chopped nuts, raisins, chocolate chips or coconut.