Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mother begged this recipe from a neighbor almost 40 years ago. I'm making it still every summer, because it's so good. This is pretty much the original recipe, though I've updated the brine based on current recommendations for better food safety.
- 1 pint small pickling cucumber
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 sprig dill weed, pretty (optional)
- 4 coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pickling salt
- Wash and scrub cucumbers. Trim stem and blossom end. Leave small cucumbers whole, or slice into spears or sandwich slices as desired. All cucumbers in a jar should be similar in size and thickness.
- Add seasonings, except salt, to 1 pint wide mouthed jar. Pack firmly with cucumbers, leaving a 1/2" headspace.
- Combine vinegar, water, and salt in a small sauce pan. Heat until boiling. Ladle into jar to cover cucumbers - again, leave a 1/2" headspace.
- Seal jar with sterilized two piece cap, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (15 minutes for quarts).
- Wait 4-6 weeks before tasting to allow pickles to cure. Refrigerate after opening.
- (I laid out the recipe for a single pint of pickles to make the spices easier to list - you will want to scale this up to make a canner full).
I absolutely LOVE these pickles. We waited patiently for six weeks and then dove in. It IS normal to sit and eat a whole jar of pickles, isn't it? The flavor is fresh, nothing too "in your face" and the pickles are crisp. This will be my only dill pickle recipe for my pickling cucumbers next year. Fabulous in all forms; spears, slices and those long slices I refer to as "stackers."
The best ever dill pickle spears! I LOVE that the recipe is broken down per jar. Makes for easy conversion.
The best pickles i made this year and i tried sooooo many kinds this year.i just wish i could have made these in Quarts and have a cabinet full.I only made two pints and i don't want to eat the other jar cus it is sooooo good.So i am saving it for a treat but all i do is think about them,lol Next year that is the only dill pickle i will make!!!!