My mother begged this recipe from a neighbor almost 40 years ago. I'm making it still every summer, because it's so good. This is pretty much the original recipe, though I've updated the brine based on current recommendations for better food safety.
- Wash and scrub cucumbers. Trim stem and blossom end. Leave small cucumbers whole, or slice into spears or sandwich slices as desired. All cucumbers in a jar should be similar in size and thickness.
- Add seasonings, except salt, to 1 pint wide mouthed jar. Pack firmly with cucumbers, leaving a 1/2" headspace.
- Combine vinegar, water, and salt in a small sauce pan. Heat until boiling. Ladle into jar to cover cucumbers - again, leave a 1/2" headspace.
- Seal jar with sterilized two piece cap, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (15 minutes for quarts).
- Wait 4-6 weeks before tasting to allow pickles to cure. Refrigerate after opening.
- (I laid out the recipe for a single pint of pickles to make the spices easier to list - you will want to scale this up to make a canner full).
The best pickles i made this year and i tried sooooo many kinds this year.i just wish i could have made these in Quarts and have a cabinet full.I only made two pints and i don't want to eat the other jar cus it is sooooo good.So i am saving it for a treat but all i do is think about them,lol Next year that is the only dill pickle i will make!!!!
Delicious pickles! The past few years I've been trying all different recipes to try to find one that tastes like the pickles from my youth. Found it!! Thanks so much, canning pickles will be so much simpler this year now that I have a tried and true recipe. PS.....the hubby even likes these, and he isn't much of a pickle person!
UPDATE: Just opened the first jar today, and they are fabulous! Full of flavor! I will be canning these every year!
This is my first time canning pickles. I chose this recipe because it is easy to adjust. Most recipes are designed for canning large numbers of pickles at the same time. I love that I can use this one to can fresh cucumbers in small quantities as they're picked from my garden. I'll come back and rate it for taste in a few weeks! Thanks!