My mother begged this recipe from a neighbor almost 40 years ago. I'm making it still every summer, because it's so good. This is pretty much the original recipe, though I've updated the brine based on current recommendations for better food safety.
- Wash and scrub cucumbers. Trim stem and blossom end. Leave small cucumbers whole, or slice into spears or sandwich slices as desired. All cucumbers in a jar should be similar in size and thickness.
- Add seasonings, except salt, to 1 pint wide mouthed jar. Pack firmly with cucumbers, leaving a 1/2" headspace.
- Combine vinegar, water, and salt in a small sauce pan. Heat until boiling. Ladle into jar to cover cucumbers - again, leave a 1/2" headspace.
- Seal jar with sterilized two piece cap, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (15 minutes for quarts).
- Wait 4-6 weeks before tasting to allow pickles to cure. Refrigerate after opening.
- (I laid out the recipe for a single pint of pickles to make the spices easier to list - you will want to scale this up to make a canner full).