Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
meat loaf with a cheesy filling in the middle, with a great taste.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- Spray 5-quart oblong slow cooker with vegetable cooking spray.
- Make foil handles in slow cooker.
- Combine beef, eggs, chili sauce, and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- With your hands, shape half of the beef mixture into flat loaf and place in bottom of slow cooker sprayed with vegetable cooking spray.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over meat loaf and press into meat.
- Form remaining meat mixture in the same shape as the first layer and place over cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle remaining cheese over loaf and leave in cooker until cheese melts.
- Carefully remove loaf with foil handles and place on serving plate.
My kids really liked all of the cheese in this recipe - that was a great addition! I didn't like the texture because there were way too many breadcrumbs and it was a bit "gummy". After reading the other reviews, I decided to make it in the oven. I cooked it for 45 minutes at 350 F. The cheese stayed in until the last 15 - 20 minutes when it started to leak out. I was able to keep some some of it in and the cheese on top made up for it! Made for 1, 2, 3 tag game. Thanks weekend cooker! :)
I don't own a crock pot, so made a half recipe of this in a small loaf pan in a regular (toaster) oven and cooked it for 1 hour. It was moist and tasty and I loved the "suprise" of the cheese filling in the middle. The beauty of this recipe was its simplicity, but I'd love to add chopped olives and green onions to that chhese layer.
Made this exactly as written. This had a good taste but I had problems with it cooking. I have cooked meatloaf in my crock pot before but this time I had problems. The outside was hard but the inside was mushy. I don't normally add cheese to my meatloaf in the crock pot so wasn't sure if it had something to do with that and my crock pot or what. I ended up cutting the hard stuff off and cooking it in a fry pan so that the leftover stuff wasn't mushy. I will try it again in the oven as I said it did have a good taste to it.