Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Our local paper published this recipe a few years ago and I discovered the author was the wife of one of our local judges that I had worked with. I tried the recipe and loved it. It is so delicious and full of flavor. I like to serve it with mashed potatoes, green peas and my Italian Squash. Yummmmy!!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 15 crackers, crumbled
- 1 (13 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (Kraft original)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup catsup
- 1 (13 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Fry bacon crisp. Cool and crumble.
- Sauté onions and peppers in bacon grease until soft.
- Dump everything, except catsup and crushed tomatoes, together in large bowl and mix well.
- Pour into cassarole dish and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Pour off excess liquid and top with catsup and crushed tomatoes.
- Bake another 20-25 minutes.