Recipe by Lennie
Martha says this is "lovely with steamed puddings" but I'm thinking that this is the perfect sauce for bread pudding!
Top Review by Donna B
This a very tasty sauce, and extremely easy to make. The only change I made,was instead of cognac, I used bourbon. It only makes about a cup of sauce, which needs to be considered depending on the amount of desert you are serving it with. I served it with a caramel bread pudding and ran a little short. I will definitely do it again.
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 (1/4-1/2 cup) tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cognac
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a boil.
- Stir in the butter and sugar.
- Pour some of this mixture into the egg yolks, whisking to prevent curdling.
- Return egg-yolk mixture to the pan and simmer, stirring constantly, just until the mixture thickens; do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Cognac.