Beautiful BC's Note:
From the book, Anita Stewarts Canada - The Food/ The Recipes/ The Stories NOTE: Sept 20/10 - our family enjoys this soup is even more when you change out the onion and squash for leek and potato. Use small yellow potatoes with the skin on then don't puree it to get more nutrients. A light soup with tons of flavour - best served with a crusty bread and a crisp glass of dry white wine. Dollop with plain yogurt or a swirl of buttermilk. The original recipe says you can use any of the dark yellow winter squash varieties or sweet potatoes. My preference is the squash.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 inches fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 cups winter squash, peeled & cubed
- 3 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
- plain yogurt (optional) or buttermilk (optional)
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat; cook the onion until transparent. Stir in the garlic and hot pepper flakes and continue to cook until garlic is just beginning to brown. Add the ginger and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute longer.
- 2Add the squash and cauliflower, tossing to coat with the onion mixture. Pour in the stock, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- 3Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Puree with a hand blender or in a food processor.
- 4Season with salt & pepper to taste. Reheat before serving. Place in serving bowls and enhance with a dollop of yogurt or a swirl of buttermilk.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mark Mitchell's Spicy Squash, Cauliflower and Fresh Ginger Soup
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.2
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 189.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: