This is served all over Mexico, Central and South America. It is delicious anytime during the year and is popular served as a brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs catfish (whole, cut into 3 inch peices with bones left in)
- 1 lb shrimp (shells and heads left on)
- 1/2 lb baby octopus (cleaned)
- 1/4 lb squid (cleaned and cut in peices)
- 1/4 lb green mussels (I use the frozen kind)
- 4 small blue crabs
- 1/2 white onion (cut in thirds)
- 1 tomato (quartered)
- 1 bunch fresh epazote (or cilantro)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (minced)
- 1/4 bell pepper
- 3 fish bouillon cubes
- 4 shrimp bouillon cubes
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1Place the water, bouillon cubes, onion, tomato, and bell pepper in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- 2In a saute pan melt the butter on medium high heat and add the peices of cat fish in the pan. Season the fish with lime juice and salt and cook on medium high for 4 minutes until the skin starts to peel from the fish. Turn the pieces over, season with lime juice and salt and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- 3Turn down the heat on your pot to medium and carefully add in the cat fish, shrimp, mussels, octupus, crabs and squid. Add the minced cilantro and the epazote and stir the top just to barely incorporate the cilantro.
- 4Cover the pot and cook on medium for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off and allow the soup to sit for 5 additional minutes.
- 5Serve the soup with fresh limes, salt, and corn tortillas. Sometimes I even dice onions, cilantro and radishes for garnish.
- 6Note; You can also buy a bag of frozen seafood which would include squid, mussels, octupus, and baby shrimp. This can replace the seafood ingredients except for the large shrimp, crabs, and catfish.
Nutritional Facts for Mariscada Aka Caldo De Siete Mares
Serving Size: 1 (665 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.0
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 290.8 mg
- Sodium 421.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 50.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fish bouillon cubes
shrimp bouillon cubes